12/4/11

Booda Dome isn't just for cats anymore.

I moved my Sumatra pair into their breeder coop this morning, hopefully Lenore finishes her molt in the next few weeks and starts laying again. Poe seemed less than thrilled to be penned but he should acclimate and calm down soon enough. I made sure to toss them a few extra greens and milo as a treat this morning.

In preparation I'm going to pick up a Booda Dome that I found for cheap on Craig's List to use as a nest box. If you're confused I'll explain, instead of filling the litter box with kitty sand we use them as places for the hens to lay their eggs, filling it instead with pine shavings and straw. It works really well. The hens like the privacy that the enclosed litter box provides and they're very simple to clean. All you have to do is snap the litter box apart and spray it down with a hose. I've found that it's better to use plastic nesting boxes as opposed to wooden ones, they last longer and there's no threat of mites or other parasites taking up residence in them like they can do in old wooden nesting boxes.

No comments: