10/17/11

Royal Blue Orpingtons

I figured since I mentioned my Orpingtons in my previous post I would introduce them to the world.

August of 2010 I received a very special box in the mail from a good friend of mine who lives in Virginia, it held 11 Blue, Black, Splash English Orpingtons. My friend imported her Orpingtons from the United Kingdom a few years before and I was lucky enough to be able to purchase some beautiful babies from her.

I unfortunately lost my first cockerel to an unknown predator when he was around 6 months old, I was completely devastated at the time- we've never lost any birds to anything other than natural causes so it was very hard finding my once beautiful baby rooster lifeless. Luckily I was able to purchase another Splash cockerel to replace my first from another breeder who had also imported Orpingtons from the UK. My new cockerel, whom I named Neville, is completely unrelated to my hens and I inadvertently was able to diversify my line by adding this new rooster.

I'll stop rambling now, on to the pictures...

This is what I met when I opened my box.


A few days later it was time for glamour shots.


They didn't stay small for very long, they sprouted feathers and grew into their "awkward teenage-dinoesque" stage of development pretty quickly.


Still they kept growing.


As they matured they grew into beautiful big birds.


Then one day, they were all grown up.











The cheesy name of this post comes from an inside joke between myself and the friend who I received the birds from. We figured since these birds came from Britain than they're like Royalty of the chicken world. If any a chicken ever had a majestic air to it, with the grace and smugness of the elite, it would be these guys. The nickname kind of stuck and forever will inspire a giggle when it's mentioned.

If by chance you are interested in these wonderful chickens I am actually selling juvenile started pairs, 6-8 week old chicks, feel free to email me for more info.

No comments: